Ulm Germany- Home Of The Tallest Church In The World
Late in November 2010, we visited the ancient city of Ulm, which lies on the border between the German states of Bavaria and Baden-Wurttemberg and which stands on the River Danube. We stayed in a little hotel sitting in the very shadow of the great church spire – or at least that’s where it would have sat had there been any sun during our visit. The hotel is owned by a Spanish family, who settled in Ulm over a century ago. We sampled some of their Spanish red wine called Sangre de Toro, which in Spanish means “blood of the bull”.
|House of Kepler's publishers|
|Albert Einstein when working as Patent clerk|
Close to the great church on the Munsterplatz is another memorial. It is to the brother and sister, Hans and Sophie Scholl. At the University of Munich in 1942, Hans, Sophie and friend Christoph Probst organized a group to resist Nazism and it was known as The White Rose. His sister Sophie, who became active within the group, taught kindergarten in Ulm and later worked in an Ulm metallurgical plant as part of her compulsory war service. The group wrote and distributed anti-Nazi pamphlets and also distributed copies of the sermons of Cardinal Graf von Galen, the Lion of Munster.
|(Left) Hans Scholl, (Center) Sophie Scholl, (Right) Christoph Probst|
|Ulm memorial to Hans and Sophie Scholl|
|Cardinal Graf von Galen|
This piece, written by Bob was originally posted on our website on January 24, 2011.